- Welcome Message
- Sixth Form Programmes
- Curriculum Overview and Subjects
- Co-curricular and Extra-Curriculum Activities
- Why Choose Danbo Sixth Form?
- Career Guidance and Counseling
- Assessment and Reporting
- Events/Special Days
Head’s Welcome Message
It is with utmost delight I introduce Danbo Sixth- Form College; a school that offers different and alternative pathways to higher education where A-Level programmes such as the Interim Joint Matriculation Board Examination (IJMB), Cambridge AS & A2, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS, and remedial are offered to you in this website. I hope you will find the information contained in this prospectus educative and informative. The crowning glory of the school itself which has set a record of massive achievements over three decades of nurturing young ones into their full potentials is embodied into the richness of the curriculum and varieties of opportunities inherent in different pathways drawn to meet every student’s needs and desires. The 6th form College operates as a co- educational institution with boarding facilities. We operate an individualized learning such that the ethos of the school, ”High Achievement for All” is evident in our instructional deliveries. We believe so much that every child must succeed. We continue to ensure you are supported in the choices you make towards your higher education. Your academic progress is carefully monitored in enabling you to achieve your potentials. Danbo Sixth-Form College has an outstanding record of achievement.We aim to provide you with lively and challenging learning experiences. Extensive opportunities are provided to develop your leadership skills along with imaginative challenges to develop your creativity, initiative, thinking skills and teamwork, both in lessons and in extra-curricular activities.
At Danbo 6th Form College, we have a trained team of teachers who are committed in ensuring that 6th form students get to their peak academically. They are there to support you through the option choices and through the important years ahead.We believe that 6th form life at Danbo Sixth-Form College is a rewarding and enjoyable experience and we very much look forward to welcoming you.
Finally, at Danbo Sixth-Form College, you may choose from the options of our traditional classrooms, blended learning or full remote learning classrooms for yours instructional deliveries.
Danbo offers students’ excellent academic programmes which also serve as alternative pathways into universities around the world. Our academic is built on a solid focused on A-levels (Cambridge and IJMB an alternative to JAMB)
- Cambridge A-levels (AS & A2)
- Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB)
- Remedial (WAEC) retake and UTME
- Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT)
- English proficiency tests such as a test of English as a foreign language and International English Language Testing System
- Graduate Record Exam
(i) Cambridge ‘A’-Level
They are the best route into top universities in the world
(ii) A- Level are the preferred entry qualification for many top universities and the best route for students with an excellent academic record who hope to study at one of the UK’s top universities, such as Oxford, Cambridge or other ivy league universities home and abroad. Taking A- levels demonstrate your commitment to securing a place at the university. Because the A level standard is widely recognized by prestigious institutions around the world, not just the UK, it is a great choice if you want to choose from the widest range of options later on. A- Levels generally let you skip through the foundation stage. Here in Nigeria, it places in two hundred levels of your desired courses. Not just that, it provides you a solid foundation to prepare you for the rigors of higher education. It is an 18 months programme but we also offer an accelerated route for one year.
These are the various subjects students can choose from that are being offered in Danbo. It is expected that students pick three subjects in relation to their choice of course at the university and an English class which is made compulsory.
- Age 16 – 17 at time of enrolment
- Course length : 18 months or 12 months
- Course Start: May – June (fast track) , August – January
Interim Joint Matriculation Bord (IJMB)
The Nigeria Degree Pathway is an advanced intensive course taught over a period of one academic year. This programme provides smooth access to achieving a degree from a Nigerian university with a major emphasis on courses accredited by the NUC. Successful students’ are guaranteed progression into 2nd year of their chosen degree at any of our partner universities in Nigeria. Nigeria.
This foundation programme is further divided into the following Pathways:
- Arts & Design
- Computer science
Students are expected to choose three subjects relevant to their course of study at the university and also to attend a compulsory English class.
Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT)
Candidates seeking admission into American, Canadian, Australian etc universities take this test. Aside admission prerequisite in some universities, it also affords you an opportunity to study free! This is achieved through outstanding performance in this test. Various forms of scholarship abound through this medium. Candidates are prepared for two to three months for this examination. It is written six times in a year in Nigeria. Aside preparing you for this examination, we go further to offer counseling in your application process, admission procedures such as scholarship essay.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), PTE and IELTS
These are English proficiency tests for work placement and study abroad. Youcan enroll for these programmes at any time. There are the academic and general modules for this examination. Danbo Sixth-Form provides exam specialists and experienced English teachers to ensure that students understand the test and properly prepare for maximum scores.(Weekend Classes are available)
Remedial Courses (SSCE and NECO)
This is a tutorial class specially designed to ensuring that candidates who have deficiencies in their school general certificate examination are able to remedy it. This class starts by August. In the case where you do not have your complete result for you’re A- Level programmes, the good news Is that you can continue with your studies at A-level while you remedy your O level result. Six core subjects are taught in this programme depending on your course of studies.
In ensuring that our students fit in well into the rigors of high education, the college helps students build skills such as management and project, teamwork, time management and other soft skills to navigate their world.
Critical thinking & Global Perspective
In this course, students are able to critique world issues, explore questions and answers from multiple and divergent views. They also examine opinions, belief, assumptions against facts
- Academic English classes where we do presentation, exchange ideas and do research which are basic skills for university education. Communication skills also form part of the syllabus for the tutorials.
- English project: this is an interesting task- based course component which allows students to work together in teams to research and create something such as video presentation, class Magazine or a play.
- Debate & Public Speaking: students even after they reach a high level of English, often lack confidence in their speaking ability, especially if they have to speak in public. At Danbo, students are taught techniques such as clear organization of ideas and counter arguments, tone of speech, body language and eye contact which improve their oral skills. Other enrichment activities are :
- Study techniques: students are guided to develop good study skills and strategies.
Leadership skills: students are given opportunity to develop their leadership abilities such as Class Ambassador, Digital head.
- University Preparation: We support students’ readiness and preparation for university. Our preparation programmes covers admission, career interviews, tailored advice and target- setting, personal statement guidance, curriculum based trips to enrich subject and enhance career knowledge.
The curriculum is designed to provide all students with an education that is:
Providing experience in a wide range of subjects and a variety of settings, employing a range of teaching and learning styles.
Devoting an appropriate amount of time to each subject, but allowing students a degree of control over their own education.
Building upon the experiences of each individual and enabling then to make sense of the world around them so that they are able to develop confidence and independence.
Ensuring each student is provided with the experiences, challenges and support necessary to reach their potential and celebrate their achievements.
We aim to ensure that:
- consistently high quality teaching facilitates active, independent and lifelong learning;
- learners will be taught how to learn;
- all activities are structured to promote excellent progress and positive outcomes for all learners;
- all forms of achievement are celebrated and underachievement is challenged;
We aim to ensure:
- learners are set a target for progression in all subject areas based on prior learning;
- learners’ achievements are measured in relation to their ability and their targets;
- learners, parents and guardians are informed of their wards progress at every week interval
- learners are engaged in discussions about their progress throughout the academic year;
- where a students’ progression is not in line with expectations the teacher will develop an action plan to support improved progression;
- Where progression exceeds expectations a more challenging target and set of skill development will be put in place.
Extra – Curricular Activities
Our excursions are subject based and it also serves as enrichment exercise for our students
Example excursions: students always look forward to this experience; it is a time to bond, make new friends and have fun.
- Kamuku National Park , BirnniGwari, Kaduna
- Kafanchan Wonder Resort, Kaduna
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Kainji National Park, Niger
- University of Lagon , Accra Ghana
- Norwich leadership school UK
Why Choose Danbo Sixth Form?
It is worthy of note that our academic results are among the best in the country.
There are many reasons why Danbo 6th Form students go on to be the best at their various universities. Among which are:
- Individual, small group teaching and mentoring
- Regular contact and double teaching hours per subject
- Expert instruction, with many of the teachers as examiners
- Close monitoring of progress through effective feedback mechanism
- Unflinching support for university application and placement
- Uninterrupted online classes.
Danbo School offers a unique site with space to enjoy varieties of activities and an abundance of fresh air. We have sports equipment, indoor and outdoor games. A swimming pool and sport teachers to guide them. We encourage our students to try something new which has the added advantage of enhancing their confidence, resilience and team skills
- Baseket ball
- Volley ball
- Table tennis
Career Guidance and Counseling
With our clearly defined pathways, we give students one- to – one advice on applying to universities, guidance on personal statement, mock interview practice for students who aspire to study abroad and admission follow up for both home and abroad university placement.
- Participate in varieties of seminars and career talks by professionals in various fields
- Visits to universities motivate students to study harder.
- Receive exam preparation
- Enroll and prepare students for their English proficiency test for those to study abroad.
Students celebrate their academic and social achievements at a formal evening events and an award ceremony. This is the highlight of the students stay.
Assessment and Reporting
In the Sixth Form, teachers discuss progress with their students on a regular basis both informally and through formalized structures. Verbal and/or written comments, when work is returned, it enable students to see their strengths and weaknesses and to take appropriate action. Marks for homework, assessed class work and tests are routinely recorded by teachers in accordance with agreed guidelines. It is important that students should understand the criteria against which an individual piece of work will be marked. There are three levels of mock examination conducted before the final examination. July, October and December for IJMB students.December, March, and April for Cambridge students.
Below are the modes of assessing our students;
Cambridge A-level: Biology, Chemistry and Physics candidates taking the complete Advance Level qualification take all five papers in a single examination series
|Paper||Type of Paper||Duration||Mark %||AS-Level||A-Level|
|1||Multiple Choice||1 hour||40||31||15|
|2||AS Structured Questions||1hour 15mins||60||46||23|
|3||Advanced Practical Skills ½||2 hours||40||23||12|
|4||A2 Structured Questions||2 hours||100||38|
|5||Planning, Analysis and Evaluation||1hour 15mins||30||12|
|Paper||Type of Paper||Duration||Mark %||Weighing %|
|1||Mechanics, Head and Behaviour of Matter, Vibrations and Waves||3 hours||120||60|
|2||Geometrical Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Modern Physics and Electronics||3 hours||120||60|
Internal Assessment – Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics
|S/No||Component||Mark %||Weighing %|
|1||End of Semester/Term Examination||100||80|
|2||Continuous Assessment Class work||5||20|
|3||Continuous Assessment Assignment||5||20|
|4||Continuous Assessment Test/Project||10||20|
Department of Social Science and Humanities
|Paper||Type of Paper||Duration||Mark %||AS-Level||A-Level|
|1||Short Answer/Essay||1hour 15mins||40||40||20|
In the midst of our academic rigors, we create time on our school calendar to mark and celebrate special days and events. Students love special days like Martin Luther Day celebration, Valentine. This is usually an accession for students to exhibit their talents and creativity as they take charge of the programme, drama, art exhibition; poems and play are some of the activities drawn to celebrate our special Days. It is a time for exploration.
Danbo Sixth-Form pride itself with the state –of- the –art facilities available to our students. These include the following:
- Boarding en- suite, separate for male and female students.
- Ultra – Modern Hall
- Small –sized Classrooms with modern technology
- English language laboratory
- Well- equipped science laboratories
- 24 hours WIFI
- Swimming pool
- Extensive field
- Basket and volleyball
- Outdoor tennis courts
- Indoor games
- School buses